Sunday, November 14, 2010

Race Report: SoCo Bubba

Today went a little better for me than yesterday...maybe the sun is what I need.

We had a much smaller field today, probably 18 women for both races; 10 for the A race. The course was technical today, but in a different way. It started off uphill on gravel (the small chip & seal kind)--I did much better with this week's uphill start than last. We then moved to a field with thick grass and leaves. We went down and back four times before hitting pavement/gravel again. That led to a sweeping off camber 180, more pavement downhill, another off camber 180, this one uphill and a large uphill. The hill was rideable, for me, for a lap or two. The grass was thick and it was hard to control the bike. I rode it during warm up, but couldn't turn the bike for the 180 at the top so I decided to take it as a run up. We immediately went downhill in the same thick grass and had to tackle the mole hole hell. They were plentiful and invisible. Another sweeping turn by the lake. (how I didn't end up taking a swim is a miracle in and of itself) We then went over the road again to the back section which had a long straight, a few turns in the woods, an off camber uphill 180 and back to the straight away. We jumped back up on gravel and headed to the two downed logs. The first was rideable for many. I tried it and made it once during my warm up but my confidence was lacking during the race, so I jumped that one that the next one that followed. From there it was uphill on the gravel road, a 180 to short patch of thick grass before a 180 and the barriers. After the barriers it was uphill on gravel to the start/finish.

Most of my race was good for me. I was timid in a few spots on the course, the first off camber down hill, near the lake and the wood area on the back. While I didn't ride over the tree limbs, I had good form dismounting and running them. The grass near the barriers was tough to navigate. I didn't get a good dismount at all through there. Each time it was all I good do to keep the bike upright. I rode the big hill on the last lap but did have to dismount at the top.

Cory was my saving grace for the race today. She rode my wheel the entire race, talking me through some of the spots where I was hesitant, and declining to pass me in the multiple spots where she could. She and I both jumped into the A races this season to give ourselves a challenge and to allow our beginning racers the opportunity to race against other beginners. It's been very humbling, going from a successful road season to last or second to last each race. I keep telling myself that I'm doing cx simply for off season fitness, but that doesn't fit well with my competitive nature.
*Photo cred: Mike D.

No comments:

Post a Comment