Sunday, November 7, 2010

Race Report: County Bubba


The downed log obstacle. *Photo cred: E'ville Mike D.

The venue for today's race was Queeny Park and it was a mountain biker's paradise. 75% of the course was hard packed single track on a horse trail. The course was about 1.75 miles. It started out uphill on pavement before we headed onto the trail. We came out of the woods to the barriers, three on an uphill grassy section. After the barriers we wound through grass to a downed tree before heading back in the woods. There was a long straight that ended with a 90 degree turn to short steep uphill that went into a 180 turn and back down. It went back down the straight before a couple of short drops and turns and more single track before hitting a long, winding, paved climb.

Our field was smaller today because of other events going on in town. I started in the second row and wasn't as smooth off the start as I would have liked. I don't like uphill starts for any cycling discipline. I was on the back of the leading pack until just before the barriers. They got a small gap on me there. We hit the single track and the small hill and the two girls in front of me stopped mid hill. I quickly unclipped before I fell. I stayed on their wheel until the climb and passed them there. I headed back through the course. I got back to the hill and took the wrong line and unclipped again. I yelled to Cory who was right behind me I was unclipping. She promised she wouldn't run over me! I stayed in front of her and was able to gap her on the climb. Third lap I easily made the hill and let out a happy holler. Fourth lap, I took the wrong line again and ended up scraping a tree...leaving a nice scratch and bruise. Mike D was standing there and laughed "with me."
My fifth lap attempt was a success! *Photo cred: E'ville Mike D
Fifth lap was great again, but I saw Carrie Cash closing in on me. I knew it was a matter of time until I got lapped. Carrie came up on me right after the little hill. She let me know she was there and kept telling me to push harder. I rode really aggressively through the last single track section and hit the pavement and had a flat. I ran/walked my bike up the climb to the pit. Steven grabbed my bike and got a wheel on for me. I finished the climb and headed into the final lap. I ended up getting lapped by Chris and Britta in the final lap. I finished 8/9 in the A race.
Good points...
I gave myself time on remounts today. Both the barriers and tree were in tough remount spots. I took my time and ran with the bike and didn't just hop on because I was over the obstacle. Most of my remounts had hops, but I had two good ones.
I knew I would struggle with the little hill, so I had Carrie ride the course with me and show me the line to take. I was able to do well on it with the exception of two laps.
Areas for growth...
I need to work on single track riding. I let the course freak me out. It wasn't a hard course at all. I loved the hill and was smiling where most were grimacing.
I struggled with the uphill pack start. I was more timid than I should have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment