Friday, November 19, 2010

40/365: The Pick Up Kid

"Mom, can you make me a pick up kid?"

"Mommy, can you take me to school today?"

Boo knows how to work the mommy-guilt angle so well. I don't know if I would ever want to be a stay-at-home mom. I think I'd probably drive all of us crazy and get myself into so many projects and situations that we'd have a mess. Still, I wish I could drop him off at school every day or pick him up in the afternoon. Today I made him a pick up kid. I left work early enough to be able to get him. It struck me as he walked out holding his teacher's hand, how much he is growing up. He looks like a big boy now. The baby-look has left his face. I think he is really struggling with where he is right now as a kid. He's no longer a baby or toddler and can't get away with some of the stunts that Bella tries to pull. But at the same time, he's not a "big kid" yet either. He still wants me to hold him and snuggle him and calls me mommy. However he also wants his independence and to do things by himself and get freedom allowed to older kids. Add in a dose of being smart and quick to learn and it causes him problems. I try to indulge him when he wants to be loved on because I know in the very near future he'll be too cool for all that. And at the same time I try to hold him accountable for his behavior because at some point others will as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment