Monday, November 8, 2010

29/365: Welcome to the Road to Nowhere

And so it begins, "off season" training--even though it's not really the off season since I'm racing cyclox. Maybe I should call it darkness training, trainer hell, or simply use Kate's phrase, riding the road to nowhere (RTN). Whatever I call it, it's the same drudgery. Spinning in the basement, on the trainer, is enough to make one lose her mind. I was surprised to hear how many people still ride outside at this time of year. Several cyclists I know have some flex in their day, so they move their training rides to lunch time. I haven't gotten brave enough to try that yet because I 'm afraid of the comments I'd get at work. I was also surprise at how many people ride at night. If I ride from home, that's not really a viable option because on most of my routes, the streetlights are few and far between. Riding in the county or city provide better options, but I'm still learning what routes are safe at certain times of the evening. I'm going to venture on a solo night ride on Wednesday. I have to admit I have some trepidation about it, but hope it will go well.

No comments:

Post a Comment