Sunday, November 28, 2010

Race Report: North County Bubba

Even with the warm temps, I had chilly ears. I love my buff. *Photo cred: Mike Dawson.


We finally had a soft course . . . a bit of mud and not bumpy! The course was primarily flat, a few 180, some PITA zoysia grass, acorns, and gravel. We had warm temps (50ish) but strong wind. We started on pavement, headed into some 180s, boggy grass and the false flat that was zoysia. Next was a quick cut through the trees to the gravel, and then into an off camber 180 before heading to the barriers. After the barriers was tall thick grass, more gravel and a few uphill 180 off camber turns. Next was downhill through leaves that quickly became a mud pit before more 180 off cambers until we hit gravel uphill and turned back to the pavement for the start finish.

We had nine in the A race today. I got a good jump off the start and stayed in the group until the first muddy section. I fell off there and spent most of the race trying to catch Cory. I caught her in lap five, only for her to pass me in the last lap on the uphill gravel section. I would say I was at lactic threshold in the false flat zoysia section every lap. The last two laps I took a gear off and just tried to spin my way through. My dismounts/remounts were average today. I was happy with the way I handled the bike through the marshy/muddy sections; they didn't freak me out as much this year as they did last. I am still hesitant on thick gravel. I probably ease up too much because I'm fearful of fishtailing.

It was ironic that the course had so much gravel today, because of yesterday's ride on the Katy Trail. There were a few thicker parts and I was careful on because I really don't have a desire to pick gravel from my knees.
49/365: The shoes tell the story. Not a ton of mud, but enough for some fun.

1 comment:

  1. Gravel is tricky. I've been racing for years and still dislike turning on to and off of gravel. If the road is basically straight I'm okay though, even if the tail end drifts around. You just have to hold bars straight and keep pedaling in those cases

    ReplyDelete