Thursday, November 4, 2010

25/365: A Different Way of Life

Today I spent the vast majority of my day "out of the office." We had elementary professional development. Finally, after 16 months in this job, I felt comfortable enough to do what I really should be doing on these days, visiting the sessions. In between schools, I stopped for coffee and to grab some wifi to check my email. It astounds me how many people are just hanging out on a Thursday afternoon. I could identify a group of regulars who I would assume spent a good deal of time kibitzing over coffee. I wonder what these people "do." A couple were clearly retirees, but others looked to be in their mid-40s or early 50s. Do they work nights? Are they out of work? Do they work from home and can flex time? I get so caught up in the normal Monday-Friday, 8-5 scene, I forgot that other lives exist. I wonder if I would like more flexibility, or a schedule that is different. I've always had a very structured job, even the freedom I have now where I can go out to lunch on occasion is a new phenomenon to me. It's good to have the reminder that my normal isn't so for everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment