Wednesday, January 19, 2011

101/365: He's Growing Up So Quickly

You always hear the line "they grow up so quickly," but it doesn't sink in until you watch it happen, and some days I'm afraid to blink because I'll miss something.  Today was one of those growing up moments, a small milestone, but yet still something that made me realize Boo won't be my little boy forever. 
 
Let me start by taking you back to Saturday.  I came home from riding and we were going to have leftovers for lunch.  Boo didn't want enchilada casserole.  He wasn't eating it.  Using one of my favorite "mom" lines I told him I wasn't a short order cook and he could either eat what we were having or fix something himself.  Now he's six, I really didn't expect him to fix something himself.  I expected him to pout and give in and eat enchilada casserole.  I should have known better.  He got a stool and took it to the pantry where he proceeded to get the loaf of bread.  He then went to the refrigerator and got ham and cheese and made himself a sandwich.  I just watched in disbelief.  As he smugly ate his sandwich, he asked me when he was taking his lunch to school again.  I told Wednesday.  He then asked Klucker if he could pack his own lunch on Wednesday.  Klucker told him yes as long as he was dressed and ready and wasn't "goofing" in the morning.
 
This morning I came upstairs from the trainer and sat on the couch for a few minutes before Klucker's alarm went off.  I heard movement upstairs and assumed it was Bella, my non-sleeping child.  No, it was Boo who climbed into my lap fully dressed, ready to make his lunch.  He cuddled me until I had to get ready for work and then he patiently watched Netflix on my iPad until Klucker finally told him he could pack his lunch.  He got out the ham and cheese while his dad got the bread for him.  We had a talk about having a healthy lunch, although that didn't stop him from asking for candy. 
 
I know it won't be long until his Buzz Lightyear lunch box is replaced with a paper bag or something else.  And while it scares me to think about my little boy growing into a young man, I love watching him grow and learn.  I love watching his excitement and enthusiasm when he does something for the first time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment