Sunday, January 9, 2011

91/365: You Ride Your Bike in This Weather?

To answer that question quickly:  YES!  Frostbike 2011 began this weekend.  The purpose of Frostbike is simple, to get women comfortable with riding their bikes in all types of weather.  We get them to push their limits.  Sunday, at ride time, it was about 22 degrees.  Yet over 30 rode through the streets of St. Louis.  What's even better is that we had 15 women riding on Saturday in colder temps. 

Once upon a time, I had a riding threshhold of 40 degrees.  And I thought I was amazing.  I made a promise to myself that I would get out and ride at least once a month all winter long.  And I did it.  I can remember thinking how much better of a rider I would be than everyone else because I was so hard core.  I laugh at my foolishness.  Last year, my promise was to get out and ride at least once a week all winter long.  And I did it.  I can't tell you it wasn't hard at times, but I will say it was fun.  I did it because I knew there would be other racers out riding in the cold and they couldn't get stronger than me.  If I wanted to be competitive, I'd better ride.  The coldest weather we rode in last year was 11F at ride time. It warmed up to 14F by the time we finished.  I am now sensible enough to know that no matter how much I push my comfort and my extremes, there will be someone who goes further.  I'm ok with that, but I'm not ok with being a slave to the climate.  My goal this winter is two-fold.  The first part being the same as last year, at least once a week outside on the bike.  The second is to not miss a workout. 
Our Sunday Group

No comments:

Post a Comment