Wednesday, January 12, 2011

94/365: Meet Jimmy

Happy Father's Day, Anniversary, Birthday and Merry Christmas all rolled into one!  This is Jimmy, Klucker's mountain bike.  After his first crit this spring, Klucker decided he wanted a mountain bike.  That's significant, but more about that in another entry.  So he did his Klucker-thing and obsessed over it and researched it until he finally found what he wanted, a Dillinger from Soul Cycles.  I've been married to him long enough to know when to give in so I did so quickly. 

"Fine, order the frame, it can be your Father's Day present."

Because after all, he already had all the parts he needed in the garage from building up someone else's bike.  (I knew that was a bunch of hookie because I've fallen for similar lines like that from him previously.)  So June got here, but the bike didn't.  It was back ordered, it would be here in late July.  Luckily I got him a great Specialized race bag for Father's Day.

July came and went with no frame.  We bought each other furniture for the basement instead of the frame, or a trip to Mexico. 

August came, but a frame did not.  It would be early September.  I tried to buy Klucker a different MTB, but cancelled the order after he pouted.  I also took him to Big Shark and told him to pick one out.  He sulked like a little kid.  Instead, I got Klucker a pair of Time MTB pedals; I figured if the frame ever got here, he'd be set.  Good think I plan for contingencies 'cause the frame material got held up in China.

Somewhere in early November, Klucker got an email saying the frames would be ready in a couple of weeks.  About that time, Klucker mentioned that he would need a few things for the bike when it got here and he a shopping cart on a website with those things in it.  Oh, and by the way, he'd also need bars, a post post and a wheelset.  (But he had everything in the garage!)  So I hacked into his shopping cart and ordered what he had in there.  I was well prepared for the frame not to arrive. 

Christmas morning came and Klucker opened his mtb in a box.  He acted surprise.  And then, December 27, he successfully ordered the frame.  And then came the wheelset, bars, and seat post.  Somehow he made out like a bandit in this whole deal. 

So the building began.  Tonight I came home to the finished product.  Hopefully, this obsession will not go the way of the airsoft guns, the climbing harness or the telescopes.  Our garage is much too full for all of his unused whims.  This one needs to be fully utilized.

No comments:

Post a Comment