Saturday, January 8, 2011

90/365: When Papa Says No

Boo is Papa's boy.  I think I've written before that my father-in-law takes his role as sole grandpa to my son very seriously.  He often indulges both of my kids, spoiling them rotten, as a grandparent should.  At our house, the kids get extremely excited when they go to Grandma and Papa's.  Saturday morning, Klucker had to work so he took the kids to his parents' house for a few hours so that I could get my training done.  (yes, I'm spoiled too.)  When he got there to retrieve them, Boo could be heard outside yelling that he wanted to go home.  That's never happened. Klucker got them packed up and brought them home.  Our plans for the evening were to go back to my inlaws for a Klucker family dinner . . . all the Kluckers.  It was a pretty big deal.  Boo did not want to go.  He was adament about it.  So much so when we got there, he wouldn't get out of the car.    We went inside and shared this with Big Klucker who went out to retrieve him.  Within minutes, Papa was carrying Boo in the house with the boy being all smiles. 
 
So what was the problem, you ask?  Because I certainly did.  It seems as lunch time, Papa made PBJ for Bella and offered ham and cheese to the boy.  The favorites for each of them.  Enter the problem.  Papa couldn't find the cheese.  Well, in Boo's world, you can't have ham without cheese.  He crossed his arms and refused to eat.  He gave Papa a pretty serious look as well.  Impressively, Papa didn't cave to the pressure.  He told Boo that's what he was getting, nothing else.  He didn't give into the terroristic demands of my playboy six year old.  He also mad him remain at the table.  And so began the screaming. 
 
I have to say that Big Klucker couldn't have made me happier.  He drew a line for my boy and stuck to it.  More than that, he did it with love and compassion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment