Thursday, January 6, 2011

88/365: I Assume February Will Bring a Heart

This is Boo's latest "family" homework project.  Decorate the attached snowman so we can hang him in the hall for January.  November was a turkey and December was the Christmas tree.  This one was more a family project than the last two, primarily because we used hot glue and I was afraid of burns and a trip to SLU.  Klucker attached the twig arms and the holly badge.  I did the embossing powder on the hat and hot glued the eyes and nose.  Boo did pick out all the buttons we used. 
 
We should be getting Boo's report card soon.  The semester ended in December and I'm sure teachers had to have grades ready this week.  I'm in a little angst over it.  Boo is very smart--not sure whether to say gifted or just well-prepared and supported.  Regardless, so far he's got this kindergarten curriculum whipped.  You'd assume that's a good thing.  It would be if Boo were a pleaser like Bella.  Little man is not; he is a clown--an active, hyper, sarcastic clown.  He doesn't sit still well, he's in constant motion, and he's usually two steps ahead of the game.  That doesn't bode well in a traditional classroom setting.  During conferences in October I heard how he had mastered all of first and second quarter, as well as part of third quarter objectives.  Then the other shoe fell about him talking out and not sitting still.  I was expecting this and I actually prayed that his teacher didn't mention ADHD or medication; that would not have ended well for her.
 
I will admit it, as an educator, I was bothered that my son was not the best (i.e. smartest and most well behaved) kid in class.  It took me a few days to process and come to the decision that I really don't give a damn about him getting in trouble for talking and being loud as long as he's not being mean and is doing the assigned work.  I've seen too many bright kids turned off by our education system . . . they get in trouble at school, and then at home, and then begin hating school.  They are disengaged by middle school and either struggle or drop out of high school.  NOT MY SON.  I won't allow it.  We talk about his day each evening.  I ask him what he learned and if he had fun.  When he tells me he got in trouble, I encourage him to be calm and quiet.  Then I hug him and tell him I love him.  In the morning I tell him to have a great day and tell him I love him again.  I know eventually I will be back at the school advocating for my son.  I will not be as accomodating to his teacher as I was in October.  I will asked her reflective questions as I would with a teacher whom I had just evaluated.  If she doesn't seem responsive, I will move to a more directive roll.  I will be relentless on the quest for an outstanding, challenging education for him.  He deserves nothing less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment