Thursday, January 20, 2011

102/365: Raising a Girl

I almost cried when I found out I was pregnant with a girl.  Having grown up in a cliquish, small town and having worked in education for 12 years, I knew how difficult girls were.  Being the mother to one scared the hell out of me.  Now, four years later and still at the beginning of my long journey as the mother of a girl, I can say I was right to feel that way. 
 
From the beginning raising Bella has been quite a different experience.  While she talks non-stop once she gets comfortable with someone, she's always slow to warm to people.  What gets me the most is her relationships with other kids.  Boo made a best friend and girl friend when he went to pre-school.  Even though he doesn't go to school with either of them any more, he'll still refer to them both that way.  Bella changes besties almost as frequently as she changes clothes, which on a weekend is two or three times a day. 
 
Tonight Bella had a birthday party for a girl in her pre-school class.  She has gone to preschool with the girl for almost two years now.  I was really excited when this girl started because her mom and I are friends.  For the first 15 months this little girl was there, Bella wanted nothing to do with her.  I'd ask her about the girl and she'd roll her eyes.  I'd hear about one of the other girls, the friend du jour.  But yesterday, Bella tells me she wants to have a slumber party and have the birthday girl and another girl spend the night.  The other girls now tease her.  The other girls are mean.  I would wonder if my daughter were a victim but tonight I heard that she told a different little girl to "toughen up, buttercup."  Ah, Bella--while it still scares the hell out of me to think I am raising this little creature, I can't imagine my life without the joy, and drama, she creates.

No comments:

Post a Comment