Saturday, January 22, 2011

104/365: Getting off the RTN

My workout schedule for this weekend called for 3.5 hours on the bike one day, and a 30 minute run and Frostbike the other day.  Frostbike was cancelled due to the massive amounts of snow we got on Wednesday and Thursday, and the forecast for more snow Friday night and Sunday.  And the fact that the City only plows main arteries.  I decided I would get the longer workout out of the way first, so I needed 3.5 hours today.  I sent out emails trying to gather a group for a Katy Trail ride or a trainer party, but to no avail.  I hopped on my trainer and started spinning.  My plan was to break the workout into three 70 minute segments with a 10 minute break between each.  I have Season 1, Disc 1 & 2 of The Closer from Netflix, so I was set. 
 
My first break was timed perfectly.  Jeffrey stopped by to see Bella, so I hopped off and hung out with the family for a bit.  I got back on for round 2 and was entertained by a Nerf war around me in the basement.  It was amusing to watch grown men pit children against each other, even building a fort for Bella's defense.  All good things must come to end, and eventually Jeffrey had to leave.  I managed to get 80 minutes done during this session. I had thoughts of going longer, just staying on for the last hour without a break.  Then I checked Facebook and Accuweather.  The mtb reports from people looked inviting.  Accuweather said it was sunny, 26F, and no wind.  To hell with the RTN, get Eddy ready I'm going outside!
 
I decided against my "normal" cx route because I didn't trust my climbing in snow abilities, and I've actually only ridden the first hill the entire way once.  So I stuck to the roads until I hit the trail by the Legion where the old railroad tracks used to go.  The gravel section was easily rideable.  I found I did better if I made my own line and avoided foot prints.  I hit the rock section next.  It was a little tougher of a go, but not bad at all.  Then I hit the paved section.  It was smooth.  It was also peaceful and beautiful.  No one else was out.
 
Once the trail ended, I hit the road.  I only had about 30 minutes left to do, so I decided to go out and take a lap down the levee.  Depending on how it looked, I could come back the paved road or a farm road.  At some point I noticed my heart rate was running high and that I felt like I was working hard.  The roads weren't completely clear, so I wrote it off as that.  Then I turned off the main levee to a short section and felt my rear tire slide.  I knew what that meant.  I wouldn't be deciding to take the farm road or field road, I would be walking.  I was flat.  I had no tube.  I had no levers. I had no CO2.  For a few minutes, I tried to ride it out.  I was less than four miles from home.  I was going no where fast though.  I finally called Klucker for a ride.  That didn't stop me from trying to get those last fifteen minutes in though.  I even tried shouldering it and running a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment