Saturday, December 11, 2010

62/365: "Cause I'm Leavin' on a Jet Plane

The view from my window at X thousand feet. I like to travel and I like to fly. I can say that probably because I don't do it frequently. My frequent flier miles expire before I can ever cash in a reward.

There is something so amazing to me about the moment of lift off. That instant when you feel weightless. It takes my breath away. And today was even more remarkable to me.

The weather in the 'Lou was rainy and overcast, no sun whatsoever. We ascended into a bank of clouds where no light was visible yet it was incredibly bright. As we continued southwest and hit clear skies and were able to see the ground below. It awed me to see the weather changed as we progressed.

I think flying is like anything in life, you do enough and you take it for granted. Something amazing and breathtaking can become mundane and even bothersome or hated. The trick is to find a way to avoid becoming jaded or cynical, to find a way to keep the fresh wide-eyed perspective. Those "take your breath away moments" become less and less frequent the older we get. Or do we get older because we have less of those moments?

No comments:

Post a Comment