Friday, December 17, 2010

68/365: If You Fall We're Taking You to SLU

I came home just in time for dinner tonight.  First, Bella stole my Santa hat.  You would have thought I'd brought home a new pair of Jimmy Choo's the way she zeroed in on it.  Don't you think it goes well with the lovely pink and orange outfit she has on?  And no, thankfully she did not wear that to school.  Bella believes life is her own show, complete with several daily costume changes. 

She next decided she needed something out of the "kid cabinet."  Instead of using her words and telling me what she wanted she wanted to show me.  She dragged the stool over to cabinet and climbed on up.  She rooted through the cabinet until she found what she wanted.  Is it any wonder that things get misplaced around this house?

When the kids climb up on stuff or take crazy risks we always threatened, "If you get hurt, you're going to SLU."  They don't quite get what that means yet, but they realize the context and that they don't want to go there.  This catch phrase comes from the first year Klucker and I were married.  He wasn't feeling well and came running down the stairs proclaiming he needed to go to the hospital because he had vomited blood.  I replied by asking what he meant and saying let me get your insurance card.  That was met with "you don't love me.  You don't care that I could die."  And he stormed out of the house.  I went upstairs, found his insurance card, and met him at SLU.  An urban hospital is a strata of society which I hope never to have to encounter again.  My purse was searched as I went through the metal detector.  I found Klucker waiting, as well as multiple extended families.  Klucker went to triage and I was allowed to go with him there.  It was then I found out that his "vomiting blood" was actually a small tinge caused by vomiting and breaking a small blood vessel.  It's a good thing he wasn't dying but was in a hospital because I was ready to kill him at that point and it only got better. 

When he finally got to see a doctor, I wasn't allowed to go back because we didn't have the same last name so we couldn't be married!   Mind you the indigenous families with play cousins and the like went back en masse.  In the end, the ER doc took very good care of Klucker, giving him a very thorough exam, including checking his prostate.  Gotta love karma!

No comments:

Post a Comment