Tuesday, December 7, 2010

58/365: Does Membership Really Have Its Privileges?

How many of your remember that tag line for AMEX from years gone by? I'm afraid I might be dating myself with that one. It came to mind today as I "registered" two more customer loyalty cards. As I added the key tags to my others, I wondered how many loyalty programs did I belong to. While I'm not going to take the time to count, I wondered how many others have this mess. And I wondered how much value I really gain from these. I know I use some frequently, like my Qdoba and Panera, but I honestly can't tell you the last time I ate at Friday's or bought something at Best Buy. And yet I hold onto these. And will probably end up with more. Hmmm. I also wonder how much the companies benefit from these. Do consumers chose one location over another based on loyalty programs? Or do they find that "rewarding" customers creates a warm fuzzy feeling with their customer base and causes customers to feel more valued, thus frequenting their business more often? I'm sure there's research out there regarding this, maybe a Google adventure in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment