Thursday, December 2, 2010

2010 Season in Review

And just like that, with the click of a mouse, my 2010 racing season ended yesterday. It was actually very anticlimactic. I made the decision to go out of town next weekend instead of racing Washington CX. A few things weighted my wavering decision regarding the MO state cx race this weekend, so unless an early January race pops up, I'm done. Considering my season started about 275 days ago, I think I'm ready for a little break.

If I had to sum up the entire gamut of racing I did in 2010 in a phrase, it would be it was a season of learning. Last year I was too much of a neophyte to really do more than experience the pain and suffering that goes with bike racing.

My first ah-ha started February 28 with Froze Toes. Last year, it was all I could do to hang on through the surges in the corners, and that didn't last long. This year, I knew I wanted to stay up in front. I looked up, and I was getting dropped off the break, to realize that I had made the break. I then learned how to work through a paceline to make the rest of the race tolerable.

The next learning was my next race at Forest Park. Last year Cory and Steph attacked early for the sprint and I was left wondering what happened. This year, Kate and I controlled the pack and patiently rode a wheel before doing pulling that same move. For me it was the beginnings of understanding tactic versus raw athleticism.

Hillsboro was a hard race for me mentally. I learned I do not like road races. My attention span is that of a crit racer and I get easily distracted by the BS that goes on when you put 50 women in a confined area. I was ready to take my bike and go home.

Hermann taught me that I could persevere. Three races in two days is hard, given the hills of Hermann, it's miserable. Fighting back during the crit to take second was a huge gain for me as was finishing with the pack for the road race after getting dropped on the last climb. The road race was good for me mentally after the misery of Hillsboro. It also gave me my first "win" as I was able to hold onto the omnium lead.

Belleville gave me some inclination as to how fit I've become over the last several years. I was able to chase down a break, doing most of the work by myself in the 4 race. I still didn't win, but I carefully did a risk analysis and decided it was the best move. Moreover, I jumped in the Open race afterwards, bridged up to a break and finished 5th.

Tulsa gave me comfort in racing in large fields. It was also the first time I had to go around a major crash. I was able to set myself up for a field prime as well. It reinforced pack positioning and tactics. That seemed to be a theme over and over and over again for my races.

The Grove let me know I could race with the "big girls". It was a 3/4 race and I was able to have a top 5 finish. Again, placement and tactics were key. That weekend also showed me how to come back from bad racing. I didn't race as well at the Midtown Alley and Street Sprints on Saturday. However I was able to refocus for the Sunday and play.

My first individual race win came at the O'Fallon Gold Cup. I truly felt like I controlled what went on in the race. I decided if and win I would take a prime and when I would go for the W. It was a strong, strong race for me.

Springfield allowed me to see what I would do if I crashed. I had always wondered how I would handle it. I now know it will take more than road rash to get me to quit. I went down in my second race of the day, got up and back on with help from teammates and finished fifth.

The state crit taught me how to handle disappointment and how no matter how well planned and executed my race plan is, one small error can make a huge difference. I also learned how much better my bike handling skills have become. I didn't give up on my machine when it skidded, I rode it out. I still have a long way to go with handling, but I'm getting there.

Gateway Cup was about strong fields and sprinting whenever I hear a bell, no matter what the lap card says. It was also about never giving up on a race. Benton Park I was dropped early, as were many. It was hot and my fourth straight day of racing. I pushed myself to the edge physically to make the bridge back to the group. I may not have finished high, but I finished strong.

Cyclocross I will sum up with one word, humility. An amazing friend of mine said to me earlier in the season that you have to learn to win with grace and you have to learn to lose with grace. I didn't realize how unbelievably hard the latter is. I had high expectations for the season. I came off an extremely successful road season and my fitness was never better. And although my bike handling has improved, it is not as good as it needs to be. That was so evident. I was timid and skittish in many conditions. I fell, a lot. I pouted. I wanted to quit. I yelled at Klucker and I whined. And then I remembered that I am visible and "out there" in our cycling community and what was I showing women new to the sport. And I remembered my dear friend's sage advice and finished my last three races by losing with grace and having fun.

For now, racing in 2011 will start in 87 days. My season's schedule will look much different in that I'll be choosier in what I race. I'll probably hit every MO crit, but only do Hermann and Froze Toes road races. I'll look for more TTs again, which is how I started this crazy sport. And I may struggle since I'll be racing the "big girls" all the time now. Whatever I do, I hope to do it with perserverance and grace and to continue to have fun while I suffer.

1 comment:

  1. You sum it up nicely Suzanne! Thats why I love racing, I ALWAYS learn something new. You had a great season and I know your going to come back even stronger next year!! You will keep me motivated to train hard. Looking forward to a great 2011 season. :)
    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete