Thursday, December 2, 2010

53/365: I've Become "That Mom"

I had a feeling it would happen sooner or later. I would become "that mom." You know the one I mean. Her kids have a project for school and she opens up the craft closet and the supplies billow out. Paint pens, glitter glue, ribbon, stickers, stamps, you name it, she's got it so that her kid's project is top of the line. I realized I may fit that term on Wednesday. Boo got his weekly homework assignment and he immediately asked if he could look in my supply box in the craft room. What craft room? When did we get a craft room? Then I realized what he meant. The room in the basement where I keep photos, mementos and all that stuff with which I'm going to eventually create something cool and memorable. He found my box of old sorority girl supplies and that it would be just what we needed. We looked through it and it wasn't quite what he'd expected, although he thought gluing the sparkly confetti to his tree would be the perfect solution...we still need to work on his understanding of kitschy. So what's a mom to do?

Go to Michael's of course! I spent my lunch hour on Wednesday roaming the aisles of Michael's, looking for just what we needed to decorate his tree. (I won't even go into the discussion here of how troubled I am by his public school assigning the decoration of a Christmas tree as homework. I'm not quite ready to be THAT mom yet.) I got pom poms, stickers, craft glue, and even a project for Bella to do while Boo finished the tree. Behold the finished project:

What really troubles me about this whole scene is that when I said we'd put the leftover supplies in a box for him to use later, he got really excited about having his own craft box. And I won't tell you what his sissy calls the craft room.

No comments:

Post a Comment