Monday, February 7, 2011

120/365: Feeding the Addiction

 Six years ago shoes were simply a functional piece of clothing.  I wore matronly heels to work.  I had Timberland books to clunk around in during the winter and my Birks for the summer.  Shoes were utilitarian.  Although I watched Sex in the City, I didn't quite understand Carrie's facination with Jimmy Choo's and Manolo's.  I can pinpoint the day that all changed. 

I was pregnant with Bella.  I was rapidly gaining girth and wearing those not-so-flattering maternity clothes.  You know the ones--they want to be sexy but miss by a kilometer.  My dad was battling stage IV lung cancer.  I was working 60+ hours a week and had a toddler at home.  Get the picture?  I was at Nordy's doing a little shopping.  Since I couldn't buy cute clothes, I was gawking at shoes.  There they were.  Black patent leather peep toes.  Four inch wooden heels.  Sassy, sexy and everything I wasn't.  I bought them in a skinny minute and wore them to work Monday even though I had no business doing so.  My feet killed my by the end of the day.  Damn, I felt good though.  That was the beginning.  Slowly the sensible shoes started disappearing.  As I bought new "work" shoes, they all seemed to shoes I could wear working at another profession.  Eventually I learned how to walk in them, and actually run in them if I had to break up a fight. 

But wearing such killer shoes to work created a problem.  My feet ached on the weekends.  I watched the UGG trend unfold.  I saw girls in them all everywhere.  I swore I would not give into there plush, fur-lined warmth.  I can remember that fateful trip to Nordy's as well.  I set out to buy a pair of warm boots.  It was a snow day afterall.  Anything but UGGs would do.  I asked for the Northface, the Nikes.  Who knew size 9 was such a popular size?  The sales lady kept pushing the UGGs and I kept saying no.  Finally, with no other options, she tried one last ploy.  "Just try them on."  Five pairs later I think I maybe should have kept saying no.  But how I love them.  I actually get out of the shower in the morning, dry off, and put on my bathrobe and UGGs while I get ready.  I know that's probably TMI, but I really, really love them.   

No comments:

Post a Comment