Tuesday, February 22, 2011

135/365: USPS--Fail!

-
For our fifth anniversary, Klucker bought me a heart rate monitor.  Romantic, huh?  While I can tell you at that time that didn't go over as one of the top five gifts he had ever gotten me, it does now rank up there with one of the most used gifts he's ever gotten me.  Overall, I love my Polar.  It's easy to use and program, it's reliable.  My only criticism of the Polar is that it has to be sent back to an authorized Polar repair shop to have the battery changed.  I've had to do that two other times in the last six years and both times it's taken a good two weeks for my watch to come home.  Now that may not sound like a big deal to some, but when it's your only form of data for your riding and running, and you're a data-addict like me, it's a huge problem.  It's actually what pushed me over the edge to buy a Garmin for my bike two years ago. 

When I got the low battery signal on my watch about two weeks ago, the impending sense of dread came over me.  It was time to ship it to Texas and to do without data on run for two weeks.  The thought crossed my mind to just buy a Garmin Forerunner 410 and be done with Polar.  But $30 versus $450 didn't seem like a logical and economical move.  I decided to try something else. 

I follow Polar's CEO on Twitter (@ChrisPolarUSA) and so I tweeted him asking how to speed up the process.  He involved the Polar repair center in Washington state (@PolarGuy88) and the next thing I knew I had a promise Rob would put the new battery in and ship it back to me the day he received it.  I would still be without it for a few days, but it was looking much better.  I mailed the watch via USPS Priority flat rate box on February 11.  Rob sent me a message on February 14 that it was finished and he was returning it via USPS Priority.  I checked the tracking number on Tuesday and there was no update.  I checked on Wednesday and there was no update.  I check on Thursday and it was at my local post office.  I was shocked!  I would have my watch back in less than a week--Amazing.  I shouldn't have celebrated so soon.  Somehow it took my local post office (that serves a town of 9,000) until Saturday to have it delivered.  And by that time I was in Texas at base camp.  In all reality, I got the watch back sooner than I would have otherwise.  Still, it makes me wonder if FedEx should be my choice next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment