Friday, February 11, 2011

124/365: Girls' Night Out

I can't say as I remember the first time I met Shannon, it just seems as if I've always known her.  I know we have photos together from the school picnic parade when we were in kindergarten.  Stacey moved to town in second grade, but was in a different class.  We met in Mrs. Lucas' class in 3rd grade.  That was more years ago than I want to count.  By all rationale perspectives, the three of us shouldn't be friends.  We lead incredibly different lives and hold very different interests, yet I know at any time I could pick up the phone and call and ask for something and either one of them would make it happen. 

We don't see each other or talk as often as we should, so tonight was special.  Shannon had a birthday last week, so we went to dinner to celebrate before heading to a party for another classmate of ours.  It amazes me how easy our conversation is, how willing we are to share details with each other, even though we'll go weeks or months between conversations.  Ours is a friendship from a simpler time, from a time where you swapped peanut butter and jelly for extra potato chips.  We have lived through friendship beads, leg warmers, junior high, big hair, birth, break ups, divorce and death together.  Ours is a friendship that has withstood the test of time.  It's a safety zone for me.  It's a warmth inside.  I can't quantify it or measure it.  I can't explain it.  I can just feel it.  It's like that pair of warm, fuzzy sweatpants you reach for when you've had a rough day.  It envelops me with a comfort that lets me know everything will be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment