Sunday, February 6, 2011

119/365: How Long Has That Been Here?

My 365 Project has caused me to be more aware of my surroundings.  I find myself looking for opportunities to take photos.  I also find whereas before I would think "I wish I had my camera" now I pull it out and take a shot.  Of course sometimes I wonder what people around me must be thinking as I snap away like a crazy papparazzi. 

Today Steph, Kate and I took the cx bikes out for a ride on the Columbia Bottoms.  In spite of the massive amounts of snow we've gotten lately, the roads were in pretty good condition--cinders being the only real hazard.  On the way out past the sod farm, I was counting down the minutes until I got to turn around and begin heading home.  I assume my head was down because I didn't see this tree.  Of course, I've ridden past this point countless number of times and I can't remember this tree.  I don't know if it was recently struck by lightning or if I've just been oblivious or if the starkness of it against the snow caused me to take notice.  Whatever it was, it caused me to stop my hard effort to snap a shot.  The landscape in the bottoms felt raw and harsh yesterday.  The snow had blanketed the fallow fields, with only the carcasses of past crops showing through.  During the ride, the barreness seemed to zap my energy and make me feel as if I were running from something.  While it was good to be outside, not on the trainer, I was happy to be finished and home where it felt more secure.

No comments:

Post a Comment