Saturday, February 5, 2011

118/365: Snowy Girl

Waiting for Castlewood to open. 
Meet Ernestine.  She's the newest addition to my stable. 
I got up this morning and ran a quick 30 minute route, not realizing what awaited me.   We had 3-4" of fresh snow, with more still coming down.  So much for the flurries predicted.  I guess that forecast was along the same lines as Snowpocolypse earlier this week.  The running was a bit frustrating in that I dealt with blowing snow and unplowed roads.  It felt like I was running in sand.  My post-run plan was to meet a group out at Castlewood for a mountain bike ride this morning.  Now I was more than a little apprehensive. 

Klucker loaded up the bikes and while I took care of some Frostbike business.  We headed west.  The highways were anything but clear.  As we descended to the entrance of Castlewood, I really wondered if it was a good idea.  We got there and had to wait for the gate to open--they were still plowing the lot.  We finally got geared up and ready to go at 8:30.  Ryan, Mike, Lee, Klucker and I headed down the road.  It only took about 200 yards before Ryan got an up close idea of how deep the snow was.  We stuck to the trails down by the river; that was fine with me.  My bike handling still needs a lot of work.  All in all, I was pretty happy with my efforts.  I wiped out twice.  Only one section where I felt like I had to walk the bike.  But of course we were on the flat, easy trails too.  I'll give mountain biking another go next weekend.  I don't see it becoming my main focus, but it was a good way to be able to ride outside in some pretty unfavorable conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment