Tuesday, March 8, 2011

149/365: Non-negotiables

When we were looking to buy our house, a had a few non-negotiables:
1.  A garage
2.  Mature trees
3.  A big kitchen

It's funny to me how my priorities changed.  When I was a teenager and in my early 20's, I wanted a house with a big front porch.  That's it, nothing else.  I wanted to be able to sit on the porch after dinner and watch the sunset.  While I would still love to do that, I began to realize the little things that I needed.  The garage was a biggie.  After living in the City and scraping my windshield and digging my car out and sitting on towels because my seat was too hot, I covet a garage.  It was something that would make my life so much easier, and it has.  And thankfully I have not turned into my father in this regard, we can actually park two cars in our garage. 

Having trees around the house was my next requirements.  Today's photo is from our back patio.  While my backyard isn't very big; there's no room for a pool, I have the best view.  We have a creek at the bottom and the hillside is covered in trees.  I think I love it so much because it reminds me of the view from the back of the house where I grew up.  It was as if we came home when we found this house.  I love the view most in the summer when it's covered in lush leaves.  The fall is beautiful as well.

My final requirement was to have a big kitchen.  That one's easy enough to explain.  Think about anytime you have people over, where does everyone wind up?  In the kitchen.  And with my love of baking and Klucker's love of cooking, it was something we readily agreed upon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment