Monday, March 7, 2011

148/365: Red!

The Daily Shoot assignment for the day was simply red.  Now I love the color red.  My laptop is red.  My external hard drive is red.  It's a color I tend to gravitate to in clothing and shoes (I'm in search of the perfect pair of red cowboys boots.  Yes, I loved Footloose.)  But what to photograph?  And then what to write about it?  So as I was fixing dinner tonight, I saw these.  Tomatoes are a sign of summer to me.  I love to come home from work and grab a tomato off the vine and eating it before ever going into the house.  This time of year I suffer through bland, colorless wannabe spectacles.  Mostly I will just buy grape or romas because they tend to have a little more flavor.  I long for late June though.  Even the bitter smell that comes off the tomato plant appeals to me because it signals my mouth as to what is soon to come. 

For now I wait.  In another four or five weeks, I'll get my plants.  I'll start preparing the ground.  And I'll wait like a kid for Santa for the blossoms, then the small green globes, and finally the first hint of red. 

No comments:

Post a Comment