Wednesday, March 2, 2011

143/365: In the Eye of the Beholder

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and I would say the definition of art would fit that cliche as well.  What other kinds of art do you appreciate? was the question to guide today's photo.  I took several shots today before settling on this one.  I started by taking a picture of our "art gallery" at home.  I put up magnetic strips in our loft where I can post Boo and Bella's latest masterpieces.  It's been a great way for me to showcase some of the many things they create.

I then started thinking about what I consider art.  There are the traditional genres, drawing, painting, sculpting, but then I started thinking about food.  To me a great cook is an artist.  But it's more than simple presentation, so how do you capture flavor in a photograph.  I also thought about some of the gifted speakers I've heard.  It is an art to be able to deliver a message with a flair that holds your audience's attention.  Then I thought about my father-in-law, and the art of sales.  I swear that man could sell sand to a nomad in the Saraha.  It all goes back to perspective...which seems to be an overarching theme with me as of late as I train to maintain a positive perspective on what's going on in my life. 

In the end, I chose a photo of one of my favorite types of art, writing.  I bet that shocked you!  One of the most beautiful feelings I get is settling down with a book that envelops me to the degree that I'm sad when it's over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment