Thursday, March 17, 2011

158/365: Ah, how good it feels!

The hand of an old friend.  In terms of old, my little guy and I have only been acquainted a little over six years, but there is something so powerful about taking hold of his hand.  Boo's life is changing so quickly now.  It's amazing to watch him grow and develop.  His mind is constantly working, making new connections, developing inferences.  You can actually watch him take in a situation and try to make sense of it all.  It's incredible. 

With all that going on in his little head, and his body continually growing and developing, he struggles some days to know who he is and what he should be doing.  It's in those moments he quickly reverts to being a little boy.  He'll crawl up in my lap and want a snuggle.  He'll try to get me to sleep in his bed.  He'll grab my hand to show me something that excites him.  I drink in those moments.  Snuggling him tonight, holding his hand while we watch cartoons, are priceless pieces of his childhood.  I dread the soon-to-come day when he discovers that Mommy is not cool and I'm only out to ruin his life.  I don't look forward to the time when a 16 year old cheerleader becomes the most important woman in his life.  So I hold on to him when I can.  I take advantage of his cuddling nature and savor his hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment