Saturday, March 12, 2011

153/365: The Role of Technology in My Life

Today's assignment was to take a photo of the role technology plays in my life.  Wow!  That's a big assignment.  I never set out to be a techy geek, and by my standards, I'm not.  I do however, love my technology. 

I think I first interacted with a computer in junior high.  We had an Apple lab; they weren't Macs just quite yet.  And we learned to "program".  That meant I could write code well enough to make pictures appear on the green and black screen.  In high school I learned how to add motion and sound to those pictures.  It was in college that I got a little more advanced--I learned how to word process.  I spent a lot of time with the boys of Sigma Phi Delta.  I would guess almost every guy in the house had a computer, a mix of Macs and PCs.  I learned to work on both platforms based on who was around and had a free machine.  The guys always told me not be afraid to break it because there was nothing I could do that they couldn't fix.  I took that attitude with me as technology advanced.  I've never been afraid to play around and see what happens. 

I think I've passed that spirit on to my kids, or maybe they've come by it naturally because technology has been since a part of their lives since birth.  Nightly it's a race to see who gets to the iPad first.  Whomever doesn't get the iPad goes for my phone.  Mind you it doesn't matter that Boo has my old desktop set up downstairs . . . it's not as cool as the iPad.  It's seemingly intuitive for them and try and try until they figure it out.  I like that.  I value their sense of exploration and lack of concern for making a mistake.  I think we lose that as we grow older.

No comments:

Post a Comment