Friday, October 29, 2010

18/365: Pumpkin Princess

We began our Halloween festivities on Friday. Boo didn't have kindergarten, so he hung out with me while I worked from home. This arrangement was sweet because he then got to go to the Halloween party at CP. Two parties in two days . . . I'd say the boy did all right.

After the party it was pumpkin carving time. In the interest of full disclosure, I have to say I've been a less-than-stellar parent at past Halloweens. I spent Boo's first Halloween in DC for work. I spent Bella's first Halloween in Atlanta. Two years ago, I forgot to get pumpkins until Halloween Day--they were pretty miserable looking. So I've made a concerted effort to be more festive for the kids' sake. I bought pumpkins on Tuesday. I even managed to acquire two additional ones on Thursday.

We got home from CP and changed out of costumes. I spread out a drop cloth and brought out the pumpkin carving kit. (Yes, I even bought one of those as well.) Bella couldn't wait to get inside the mess. She spent a good 20 minutes with her hand inside the pumpkin, pulling out seeds and membranes. Boo, as was the case last year, wanted nothing to do with the goo. I kept sending him on other errands so he didn't get into mischief. Even after the seeds and such were in a bowl, Bella was still intrigued with them. I put her to work seperating out the seeds so we could roast them.

Here are the finished results. Each of us had a pumpkin to design. Boo's is on the far left with the "spiky teeth." Bella's is next. It's supposed to be a cat on a fence. I have determined those stencils that come with the pumpkin carving kits are off limits next year. Klucker's is sitting on the little table, eating a tiny pumpkin with seeds and "guts" hanging out. Mine is the one below. It's very simple, no intricate details, because I just wanted to put down the little orange knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment