Thursday, October 28, 2010

17/365: Our Original Princess

This is the original princess in our family, Princess Poops-alot, AKA Daisy dog. This pampered pooched just celebrated her tenth birthday this past June. She's graying and plump now, but she is still fiesty and makes sure that Diesel knows she is the alpha dog.

Daisy joined our family in September 2000. At that time, we had three finicky felines who kept us entertained. My dad worked with her breeder who was looking to get rid of the four final pups in the litter. Bud and Sally had gone to my great uncle. Another one went to my pseudobrother Tony. That left an adorable little female named Daisy. My dad set me up. He made sure I played with the Bud & Sally one Sunday afternoon. They nipped at me and gave great puppy kisses and even fell asleep while I was holding them. It was then that my dad set the hook. "If Brian doesn't find a home for her, he'll euthanize her. He can't feed another dog." Tuesday morning I drove to Olivette, picked her up and took her home, and drove back to Ladue for work--all by 7:00 AM. Daisy quickly asserted herself as royalty and demanded to be treated as such.

The rest of the story of these pups has to be told as well. The dog Tony took ended up passing away before she was a year old. Sally got lime disease and died as well. Bud was gun shy and liked to run. My uncle couldn't hunt him and got tired of picking him up from town or the neighbors. Bud became Buddy, a city dog, and was reunited with Daisy shortly before they turned three years old. He was a kind, gentle dog who wanted nothing but a walk and a belly rub. Buddy left us last spring as quickly as he joined us. We were lucky that we were able to be his people, even if it wasn't as long as we would have liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment