Monday, April 11, 2011

Race Report: Hermann

This year's Tour of Hermann was much difference for me than last year.  Last year I knew I was well trained, but had zero expectations because I had never done anything like it.  This year, I knew I was well-trained, but had definite expectations.  I wanted to win the tt and hold my own in the crit.  I didn't know if I would do the road race or not.  I did not have it on my schedule because of my job situation, but since that had changed, it was a possibility.

The course for the TT was a new one this year--much more challenging than last year.  Most of the hills were rollers, with one 18% climb at mile 4/10.  The weather was humid, a bit windy, and low 60s at my start.  I was cautious getting out of the parking lot onto the road because it was still wet from the rain we had.  I was about three and a half minutes in when I got passed by my 30 sec follow.  I didn't worry about it and just concentrated on pedal stroke and breathing.  My legs and lungs both felt great.  I went into my small ring for the big climb and it still hurt.  I settled back in pretty quickly though.  I think I was out of my saddle about three times on the way out.  I passed one girl on the way as well.  I got to the turn and saw another rider close enough for me to catch.  I used him as a rabbit.  Around mile nine, there was a hill that I was expecting I had to small ring.  I knew the big one was close so I just added gear in the back.  The climb was longer, but not as steep for the big hill going back.  Once I was over that, I was back in my big ring and worked on giving more for the last bit.  I finished strong with a negative split.  Final time was 38:22--over a minute ahead of the 2nd place girl, 108 overall.

I had about three hours until the crit.  Jamie and I grabbed lunched at the Stone Hill restaurant and watched the races.  This crit course is the most challenging I'll see all year.  It's 1.2 miles, starts with a false flat for about a quarter mile.  Up next is a screaming downhill with awful pavement and a sharp right.  You then traverse some neighborhood streets before climbing an ugly .2 mile hill that just hurts.  At race time it was mid-80s and sunny with a 12mph wind; we were doing 10 laps.  I had one teammate, Vanessa, in the race and she had fresh legs.  She was urging me at the start to go out hard with her and splinter the field.  I told her I didn't think I'd have it in my legs.  We got the whistle and she drove the pace.  By the bottom of the descent, I was off the back.  I had two girls in my sight, so I just worked on gaining ground on them.  I caught the first girl on the third climb.  I didn't let up on her on got significant distance from her on the false flat.  I caught the next girl on lap five on the hill.  Again, I just concentrated on giving it the power to not let her stay with me.  On lap seven I caught a third girl.  I rode her wheel up the climb and then pushed past her at the start/finish, not giving her a chance to go with me.  At two to go, the announcer said the four lead girls had a minute on me, about a quarter of a lap.  I pushed my descents a little harder, and tried to climb faster, hoping to see them and get on, but all I did was lap the first two girls I passed.  I ended up 5th overall. 

I was really torn about whether or not to race Sunday.  It was going to be hot, hilly and windy.  But I wasn't paying for the race and I was in a great spot to be on the podium in the Omnium.  I emailed Chuck who gave me great advice--if I woke up and wanted to race, go for it.  If not, stay home and train.  I hit the hills in Wildwood with the girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment