Sunday, April 17, 2011

Race Report: Tour of St. Louis

I had two goals for the weekend.  First was to stay with the pack for both the crits.  Second was to win the tt.

Saturday's weather was awful.  It was mid 40's, windy and drizzled off and on throughout our race.  There were 14 women (i think) in our race.  The course is a combination of the Tuesday night crit course and warm up loop.  It's just short of three miles.  There are three small hills, two small downhills, and we finished up hill.  Our time was shortened to 40 + 3.  The first two laps were calm.  We had a decent pace, but no one was pushing it.  The random attacks started around lap three.  None of the girls got very far before we brought them back.  Somewhere around 17 minutes an attack went and I went with it.  Three of us got off.  Emily bridged up, yelling "we got a gap, come on" and kept going.  Jamie went with her.  I didn't have it to go.  Within the next lap, the pack caught Cindy R and me.  Emily and Jamie stayed off for another five laps or so before we brought them back.  The random attacks continued.  Somewhere in there we lapped three different girls who couldn't stay on.  I made sure to stay on a wheel of whomever was going after them.  With two to go, I told Vanessa that I was going to try to go at the bottom of the hill to the finish.  She launched a few attacks on that lap, but nothing stuck.  We got to the last lap and Vanessa gave me a great leadout.  I went and got caught and passed, ending up 7th. 

The TT was later yesterday afternoon.  The rain had stopped, but the wind picked up.  It was blowing around 23mph, with 40+gusts.  There would be a great tail wind on the way out and pain, pain, pain on the way home.  The sweet spots on the course were still the same though.  I knew where I could make up time by adding gears.  I went off 7th.  It was my best tt start yet; I was geared correctly and comfortable with my holder.  I felt great and added gears until I maxed it out.  I passed my two minute man about three miles in.  (My minute man didn't show).  I was about 3/4 mile from the turn when the wind caught me and I had to grab my horns to keep from going over.  I probably lost a few seconds on the turn around.  I thought it was coming up and took off two gears before realizing I had a little more to go.  The turn itself went smoothly and I got a great start for the way back.  Then the headwind reared its ugly head.  I passed the three minute girl within a mile of the turn.  I started to try to fight the wind and then decided I would do better to spin through it.  I added three gears in the back and dropped to my small ring.  Somewhere around mile six I got my four minute girl.  I hit the sweet spot for the return trip and began adding gears.  I was able to get my speed back up to the mid-20s as I crossed the line.  Official time was 22:59, 2nd place.  Cindy Reese (cat 2, Bicycles of Tulsa) got me by about 30 seconds for first.  

Sunday's race was a four corner crit, one block on each end, four or so blocks on the sides.  The weather was much better, low 50s, sunny and breezy.  Teresa, Vanessa and I warmed up together.  We talked about the ominium and that I was sitting in 4th, one point behind Jamie.  Teresa and Vanessa agreed to work for me to cover anytime Jamie was attacking.  My goal was to sit on her wheel and not let her shake me.  We took 15 women to the line.  The attacks started early.  No one was letting anything go though.  We all took turns bringing back anyone who tried to go.  I led the chases when Jamie was in the mix and Vanessa and Teresa weren't in position.  We got a prime bell and I just made sure to be in the front of the group.  Somewhere around 30 minutes, Chris went on a solo break.  No one really tried to go after her.  With two laps to go, Vanessa took control of the group.  She tried to get me off on a break twice, but we couldn't get away.  We got the bell and I concentrated on staying near Jamie.  We turned the final corner and I heard Jamie yell, "oh, shit".  She was about a bike length in front of me.  I took that as a good sign and was up sprinting.  Carrie and Emily were already in front of me.  I went added gears until I ran out and stayed out of my seat even though my legs were screaming.  I passed her and held her off by about 1/4 of a wheel, giving me fourth place.  I thought that would give us a tie for the overall ominium.  Not quite though . . . Chris ended up taking it.  The three of us tied for points, but it was awarded to Chris because she had the highest finish out of the three of us for the weekend. 

I felt great in all three races.  I was able to see moves unfolding and react well.  It really helped me to have a clearly defined role and goal.  The teamwork in Sunday's race was great as well.  Vanessa had the legs to help me out and Teresa would come up alongside of me and encourage me while we were racing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment