Sunday, March 4, 2012

Race Report: Eagle 5K Sprint

I decided since the race was in Columbia that I would run to the race as my warm up.  It's about 1.7 miles to the high school, so it's a perfect distance.  I felt great on the warm up.  The sun was out, the wind was light and the temps were in the low 30s--perfect running weather.

Within a few minutes of getting there, I ran into my Wednesday night ride group.  There are three ladies in the group who are really fast runners so I knew I would be challenged in the race.  Right before we lined up, they described the coursed--It would have three hills on the way out and two on the way back, and go right by my old house.

Toni and I moved to the very front of the group.  There were about ten middle and high school boys standing on the front line already.  The horn blew and I took off working to move my way around the kids.  Within 150 yards I hit the first hill and I continued to move up, trying to find someone to pace.  We turned into the park and headed over past the pool.  A guy passed me and I worked to stay with him for a while, but when we crossed Main Street I couldn't sustain his pace.  From there it was down into my old neighborhood.  

Right after my old house, my watch beeped for mile one.  No looking--keep pushing!  On the third uphill on the way out, Dana caught me.  I moved in behind her and let her take me to the turnaround.  She took water at the aid station and walked.  I chose to keep going.  When I turned I saw that Toni wasn't that far behind either.  

I was about .2 miles past the turn when Dana and Toni caught me.  I was very tired at that point but continued to fight to stay with them.  As we went back past my house, Toni started to pull away.  I didn't have it to stay with her.  Dana and I stayed together up the final hill and across Main Street.  It was on the downhill she pulled away and I had to let her go.  

Knowing the roads so well, I knew exactly how far I had left to run.  If I could maintain the effort through the park, I could manage the downhill and finishing straight.  My chest was burning at that point.  Tennis courts --- done.  Baseball field ---done!  There was the downhill.  I could see Toni and Dana near the bottom.  Push, push, push. I made the left into the park lot and saw Toni finishing.  I gave my last effort and worked to close in on Dana.  I wasn't able to do it.  Toni finished in 22:00, Dana in 22:21, and me at 22:25.  I was third out of 151 women and 16th overall for 360 runner.  That's :16 seconds faster than the February 5K on a much more challenging course--pretty happy with it.  Plus for me it was staying with Dana and Toni--when I started running/riding with this group, I was no where close to their league.
Race bling!  Woot!  I'm pretty proud of this one.

Bella and Boo with their race bling.  The princess is going to be a heck of a runner someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment