Sunday, March 11, 2012

Race Report: The Great Forest Park Bike Race 2012

This is the least technical course we see all year. It's almost completely flat and only has two real turns in it.  The weather wasn't nearly as pretty today, the sun was hidden and there was a nice little wind.  Amy and I did some efforts in the park and I spun around a bit more until race time. Today our field was 16 deep, a few different faces from yesterday.  I felt really, really good when we went to the line.  When the whistle blew I merged to about third wheel in the pack.  We formed up quickly and had a moderate pace on the back side.  Towards the end of that stretch, I took a little jump to see what would happen.  Caught immediately.  We went around two more times with some small attacks coming.  
In the mix.  Photo credit: Tony Lowther

Lap three right after the start finish I decided to really try.  I was sitting third wheel and had a clear line so I jumped...into the wind. I'm guessing I wasn't geared heavy enough because within a few pedal strokes I lifted my rear wheel off the ground. I sat down and kept pushing.  Chris, Pam and Ashely were with me.  Pam tried to organize us to get the break to stick, but no such luck. We were reeled in by the time we got back to the start/finish. About 18 minutes in we got the first prime.  We slowed way down and I positioned myself near the front again.  I had no real interest in it, but knew Carrie was entirely capable of taking it and staying away.  We turned the last corner and the pace ramped up but no one jumped until about 100 meters out.  Carrie and Ashley took off. I stayed with them but didn't even attempt to match their sprint.  We came back together on the back side and went around again.  Teresa pulled up alongside of me and I asked her how she was feeling.  She said she felt good and I told her I did too.  I nodded at her and jumped.  This time I had the right gear and got off and away.  No one was with me, which was good and bad.  I was adding ground until I hit the wind. It was there I needed someone to trade pulls with.  I got pulled back in at about the spot where I originally jumped.  Within two laps we had another prime bell.  It set up much the same as the first until the very end.  There were about four girls sprinting it out.  For a quick minute I thought they were going to get away, so I pushed and worked to bridge up to them.  By the time we were crossing the bridge they had let up though.  
Team work! Photo credit: Tony Lowther
From there until one to go we would have a couple of attacks attempted every lap, each eventually pulled back.  On the bell lap I was sitting in a poor position, I was about third wheel, but in the center of the pack.  I knew it would be impossible to get a good sprint from there.  I waited for any opportunity to move and got it on the backside.  I eased up and slid behind Heather and around to the outside.  The pace picked up as we moved through the false flat and into the final turn. The pace slowed and then revved up, but again no one jumped.  Finally Carrie made her move.  Ashley and Britta and several others were right with her.  This time I didn't need incentive to sprint.  I jumped and spun and added gear.  I pulled alongside Britta and got her by inches on the line for third.  

All-in-all I feel really good about the weekend's races.  I was very happy with my ability to recover today.  I need to still work on my sprint and on timing...endurance too if I ever think I'll make a solo break stick ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment