Sunday, March 11, 2012

Race Report: Carondelicious Circuit

The Carondelet course has several gentle climbs and only two real corners. The challenge for me at this course has always been the uphill finish. 

It was sunny and mid 40s yesterday. I got to the park and warmed up on the road with Amy and Vanessa. We were going to have four Big Shark women in the field. There were 15 women in the race, most of them very strong. We got instructions and the whistle and I decided to lead us out hot.  I settled in and decided to fade into the pack on the backside downhill. It wasn't long after that the attacks started. While no one ever got away for long, the surges were pretty steady throughout the race.  I would say about five or six girls kept mixing it up and trying to make something go.  I worked at staying near the front of the field.  I did my fair share of responding when a girl would try to make a go at it.  
Photo credit: Kelly Croy Patty

Sitting pretty.  Photo credit:  Kelly Croy Patty

Grab a wheel!  Photo credit:  Kelly Croy Patty
There were two prime laps in the race, and as is typical, the pack slowed way down when we got a bell and worked for position as we moved around.  I didn't make a serious move for either prime, but rather stayed up front in case someone wanted to try to turn it into a break.  At three to go things settled down a little and the paced slowed to moderate.  Vanessa tried to go off the front with two to go but was quickly brought back.  On the last lap, Amy ramped up the pace and the pack went with her.  I moved in and grabbed her wheel and hung tight.  Vanessa was on my left. We made the last turn to the hill to the finish and Amy glanced back at me.  I heard someone behind me start to add gear so I jumped.  The sprint was on. Chris, Ashley, Rachel, and someone else pulled away.  I was still in the saddle, but upping my cadence.  Britta came alongside of me and that gave me the oomph to sprint.  I was up and out. I pulled back ahead of her to cross the line in 5th.  

No comments:

Post a Comment