Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Race Report: Castlewood Cup

It was sunny, windy and about 39 degrees on Saturday for the race.  I did a little under a mile warm up at a comfortable pace.  I was ceded in the third heat for the race (there were about a hundred in each heat).  We got the horn and I started weaving my way through people to get some open ground.  The race start in a field and wound around for a few minutes before hitting the first of three climbs.  The first climb was pretty rocky, a lot of loose gravel, but it wasn't too steep.  The hardest part was getting around people.  It flattened out for a minute before kicking up again.  After that we headed out into single track.  I was at the back of a line of about eight people and the opportunities to pass were limited.  I got around two as we wound through the woods and back down.  Once we hit the bottoms again, it opened up and I was able to move in front of most of the people.  We had a water station just before mile three and the second climb.  I grabbed a cup and walked a few feet before heading up the hill.  I had already decided I would walk the second and third hills to maximize my energy.  The second hill was long and wound around.  I knew there was a bench at the top and was happy to see it.  I was able to start running again.  We began our descent and hit a water stop around mile 5.  I took a GU, walked the stop and had some fluids before starting again.  The next few miles were simply a blur.  I know I ran, I know I walked a hill, but I truly don't remember much else except tripping twice and recovering before I face planted.  I had found some strange running zone and was just going with it.  Around mile seven we began to descend.  I could hear the announcer and music and knew we were closing in on the finish.  I felt tired but good, and in hind site, may have pushed too hard then.  We came out into the clearing I knew we hadn't seen mile marker 8, but I got a bit giddy about being close to the finish.  Then we wound back into the woods.  It was here that I walked for about 100 paces.  I started running again and made the creek crossing and made my way through the woods to cross the road.  I really hoped the finish was soon, but no such luck.  We wound around the same way we did for the start through the field.  I don't know know if it was my mind or my legs, but I walked.  I went through about three phases of walking in that last mile.  When I finally saw the finish line, I was able to start running again.  My splits were as follows:
M1--8:47
M2--9:07
M3--9:00
M4--10:24
M5--8:48
M6--10:53
M7--9:07
M8--8:33
M9--9:06
.2--9:30

My overall pace was 9:15.  I went back and looked at Pere Marquette in December--the terrain there was a bit hillier, but it was a shorter race.  My average pace for it was 9:48.  I was pleased with everything except my last mile for this race.  I just didn't feel like I "had it".  

No comments:

Post a Comment