Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Race Report: Nippy Niner

Off and running! *Photo credit: Brent Newman
I don't know what's come over me the last few months, but I've been enjoying my running more and more--including racing again.  I'm guessing that, and a little persuasion, was what talked me into the Nippy Niner.  The race was up at Columbia Bottoms Conservation Area, the same location as our Wednesday Night Time Trials.  I had never realized there were off road trails up there, but they are beautiful.


The drive up to the race was dreary.  There was a heavy mist and it was chilly.  And of course my "wonderful" navigation skills set the course through some scenic neighborhoods!  It just helped to make a great day more interesting.


The race course started with four miles of gravel, headed into about 3 miles of single track, and ended with grass, field roads.  I got there and did an easy mile warm up and went back and got my Gu before heading towards the start.  The mist had let up by the time we were called to the line.  I started about mid way in the group. We got the start and I'm not sure what came over me, but I took off like a woman possessed--very inspired.  I began weaving my way in and out of the runners in front of me and quickly found myself sitting in 3rd for women.  I was pacing the 2nd place woman comfortably, but knew I was going hard and at some point I would need to let up, but not quite yet.  I caught the girl in 2nd and stayed with her.  My watch beeped at mile one and I saw I was running a 7:20 something pace.  Oh my!  That's not what I run.  I eased up a little and the girl went in front of me.  I knew I was still going too fast to maintain the pace for the entire race.  My pace for the 2nd mile ended up around 7:39--still too fast for me.  I got slowed myself down for mile three and four, still on the gravel, and I felt much better.  I grabbed water and Gu'd at the rest stop around mile 4, before the course headed into the single track.  By this time I was sitting about 5th.  The condition of the single track really surprised me.  While there were no real hills, the ground had little ups and downs.  I kept thinking how much I wished I was on my cx bike, catching air off some of those little rollers.  The miles through the single track were very peaceful, going right next to the river.  I wished I could have slowed down to enjoy the view.  I began to struggle a bit mentally around mile six, because I got passed by three more ladies.  I hate getting passed.  I also knew my splits weren't negative.  These were my slowest miles of the race, one going at 9:01.  I came out of the woods and ran the paved path for a short bit before turning into the field.  I was not prepared for this section at all.  With the rain we had this weekend, the ground was soft and squishy.  It felt like running in quick sand and my legs quickly tired.  I wanted so badly to stop and walk but would let myself.  At one point through this section, the course was under water, calf deep--I did let myself walk that.  By then, the finish line was in site in the distance and I just kept pushing through.  By the time I could see the finish clock, it was at 1:14:23 and there was no way I was going to let it hit 1:15 on me.  I dug in and went harder to get in at 1:14:39. Results were: 31st overall, 9th woman, 1st in my age group.


Overall I'm very pleased with my run, but I know I need to work at my start--going out at a pace I can maintain and getting going harder if I feel good.  My pace was strong, especially considering the terrain. I also need to work on not letting my mind limit my body.  I've never been a "true runner" in my own mind, so running sub-8 scares the heck out of me.  I have a 5K this Sunday and my approach is going to be to go all out and really see what I can do.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment