Saturday, September 4, 2010

Tour de Lafayette

Nothing could have prepared me for the race that was the Tour de Lafayette. I've raced some pretty large races this year, fields of 50+ women, but never have I raced in front of such an awesome crowd.

Cat 3/4 women went to line with Men's 4/5. I've raced with juniors on the course, but this was a whole different ballgame. The men were at least 50 deep, and we brought 28 to the line. As I lined up, I heard a disembodied "mommy, mommy." Peeking out from under the banner was my boo. Nothing makes me feel better than having my kids at a race. They are the ultimate fans!

I was about three deep on the line and Steph looked back at me and said there's a spot here. That's all I needed to hear. "Excuse me, pardon me. Bike racer coming through. Must be in the front row!" Being that aggressive is something new for me. I have often felt like I didn't belong up there. Tonight I knew I did.

Lafayette Square is a basic four corner course. There is a slight downhill after turn one. A long slow uphill on the back and a slight uphill after turn three. The finishing straight is flat and fast. We got a whistle and were off. Around turn one and the headwind hits. Positioning would be everything for this race in that staying out of that wind was necessary.

My shadow for the weekend on my wheel...
Sky gave me the best compliment ever in telling me I had a great wheel to follow.

We had a few attacks and surges early on. There were some crazy wheels a few times, but nothing too dangerous. We got a prime bell fairly early. To go or not to go is always my question. For me the goal of the weekend was to hold onto, and possibly gain more points in the MOBAR lead. Finish place was more important than cash. I was ready to sprint to stay on, but not wanting to blow up. I held my place in the lap.

Most of the race was unremarkable. I went out and helped chase down one attack. We were lapped by the men's field twice. I was actually happy when this happened. It gave us about a minute of recovery in what was a very quick field.

All of a sudden we were counting down laps. This, for me, is always where the fun begins. Let's play cat and mouse. Let's move and get a good position. Grab a wheel and hold tight! This is also where I noticed the crowd. It had grown and grown and grown. Each time we passed through the start/finish, the cheers were deafening. Finally the sweet, sweet bell rang. It's all or nothing on the last lap. I worked my way to the front of the group and looked to hold onto Jamie or Aubree. They would definitely be the ones to beat tonight, and all weekend. We rounded the last corner and I hit what I knew was the sweet spot for my sprint. Up and out and turn 'em over. I saw my mark for the weekend, and I overtook her. In my mind it was by inches, the photos show a full bike length. Those power sprints I've been doing paid off. I took fourth with a huge smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment