Monday, September 13, 2010

Giro della Montagna: The Hill

The confusion from Saturday's race led to something good. On Sunday, the 3/4 Women and 4/5 Men got split. We each had our own race. Knowing that, I got to the course early so I would have time to ride it before the men raced. This course was again a basic four corner crit, more of a long rectangle this time. The trick to this course was that the roads were narrow, corners tight, and manhole covers a plenty. The backside of the course had a long uphill with a headwind, and the front side was a downhill to the finish.

I had to do most of my warm up on the trainer because the men were on the course. We rolled to the line 27 deep, another wonderful sized women's field. The whistle blew and we were off. I immediately saw why everyone warned me about the corners in this course. A wrong move here could easily have you meeting the pavement. We went out hot, but slowed down on the backside. And so it went for most of the race. At some point, Amelia from xXx attacked and Aubree went after her. I went after Aubree. There were lots of surges, and I frequently had to work to stay on after turn two. I spent a good deal of the race anaerobic. At some point there was a prime, I stayed with the group, but knew I had no business even attempting it.

During the later half of the race in turn three someone rubbed my back wheel sending me over towards the Hannah, the Pegasus girl. We rubbed arms and I quickly apologized. We started counting down laps and I was happy. This course was taking a toll on me. I was working to get set up, because I knew I would be at a disadvantage on a downhill finish. Around turn one I heard it and saw it all at once. The Fusion girl slid out, taking Amelia with her. I was on Amelia's wheel. I quickly got around her and stood up to get back to the group. We took turn two and at the small flat in the middle of the backside, I moved into position. I wanted to go at the intersection before turn 3. We got there and I was stuck. I was second wheel, but they were spread five wide across the road. There was no getting through. I eased up going through turn three and four and lost position. We hit the downhill and I prayed I could make up my losses. The ladies in front sped away from me; I was around 12th position at this point. I was not ready to quit though. I added gear until I ran out. We hit the bottom of the hill and I stood and went. One by one, I passed girls, not easing until I crossed the line. Sixth place! I'd take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment