Monday, September 13, 2010

Benton Park Classic

Monday's Gateway Cup Races featured a new venue: Benton Park. T had suggested the neighborhood to Mike and was right--it was outstanding. There were ten corners in the 1.7 miles course, including a chicane. We crossed I-55 twice and an almost perfect 200M finishing straight.

The women and men were once again split. I watched the men's race from the trainer and was surprised to see how strung out the field became. This should have given me an idea of what was to come.
We went 23 deep to the line today. Most of the girls had been in the three previous races, so were racing on legs as tired as mine. The first lap started fast. By the time we hit turn three, I felt like I was struggling to keep up. A good showing in this race was important to me; my brother was there, his first race this season. Lap 2 I was still struggling. Where were my legs? How did these girls all have it and I didn't? Lap 3 brought a prime. As we headed to the line, I was nowhere near in it, and it was gapping me. I was off the back. Holy Campagnolo! How did this happen? And why today?

I hit Corner 4 and Klucker was giving me gap times. I realized T was off as well. Hannah (Team Pegasus) was in front of me, but off the back too. T and I got together and took turns. Mike yelled to us to work together. We did. We caught up to Hannah. Soli joined us as well. Within a lap, of jumping on us, Soli took off. At that point, I was ready to let her go. I wasn't ready to go after her. T, Hannah, and I our turns. We eventually chased Soli down and she got on the group. It felt like we were falling further and further behind and the gap was growing. Klucker's time announced verified that. We were up to 20 seconds off.

We went around and got the three to go card. Hannah was pulling. I was reflecting. I had three choices, and not a lot of time to decide. I could stay where I was and work with these girls for the next three laps and hope they didn't out sprint me. I could go off on a flyer, and possibly blow up--I would end up back here. I could go off on a flyer, and try to get on the pack. To me, at that moment, worst case scenario was where I was. I knew after turn 4, the course got a bit technical: lots of turns in quick succesion. The pack would have to slow, a single rider would not. That was the time to go. I looked ahead and there was a girl off the back. She would be my first target.

We passed Klucker and he yelled five seconds. Ok, here we go. I jump, say to Hannah, come with me, let's shut this thing down. I took off. About 15 seconds in I began to question my logic. This freakin' hurt. My quick, little ti princess took the corners like she was on rails. (Why did I ever think about wanting a Scott?) I was close enough to tell the girl had Dumas on the back of her shorts. Turn 10 and I was on her wheel. I yelled to her I had her wheel and needed 30 seconds to recover and would take a pull. We were under the start finish when I moved around she and the moto and jumped onto the pack. I couldn't believe what I had just done. I couldn't believe how much that hurt. Two to go and I had to stay on now. I got myself mid pack and sat in. I saw Klucker's smile as we went by. I also realized Jeffrey had left already. He didn't get to see my push.

With one to go, I knew I could hang on. We weaved through the course and turned onto the finish. The sprint went early and I tried to go with it. By 150M, I was done. I sat down and pedal to the line, getting passed by two or three girls who still had something to give. It was a 10th place finish for me, but a victory in assessment. decision-making and determination.
My "bridge face." It hurt as much as it looks like it does. "Photo credit: Mike Dawson

No comments:

Post a Comment