Monday, September 27, 2010

PICX #2: 09/25/2010

The 2010 Edition of PICX #2 returned to the same venue as 2009, Glazebrook Park. The course is on a soccer field, so there is little level variation--it's flat. Instead of having the challenge of hills and trees, the designers must want you to puke by making it maze-like. Multiple times during the race, I swore I was going to run into someone, only to find they were in the next lane of the course.

Instead of warming up on course or in an adjacent area, I warmed up on the trainer Saturday. The kids had come with us and Sam was racing, so it was my only option. It got my legs warm enough, but I probably should have pushed my heart rate a little higher.
We had seven (four Big Shark) women line up: Amy, Teresa, Stephanie, Sunny, Liz, and Cory. Amazingly, while we were lining up, it was announced that the previous races' results were posted. Yeah for great officiating! Aaro gave us instructions and we were off, hot and fast. I held with the group until the first barrier. I was even fine going over that first barrier. It was the remounting that gapped me. Cory passed me on her remount and there I was, last on the course. Curses!!!

I continue to struggle with getting back on the bike.
It is what it is and I was out there for a great workout so I went after it like that. I stayed focused and concentrated on cornering. After all, that's what this course was all about. Somewhere in the second lap, I was able to catch Cory. She would make up some ground on me during the corners, but in the few straights, I was able to regain it. Sunny schooled us all. That woman is incredibly quick and I can't wait to watch she and Carrie square off. Stephanie took second, Teresa third, Liz fourth, Amy fifth, sixth for me and Cory seventh.

I had a disheartening few minutes during this race. Because the course is flat and on a soccer field, you could see everyone at all times. During my last lap, somewhere in the dizzying maze, I looked up and saw Amy hitting the pavement to head to the finish. I looked around and it was only Cory and me left on the course. I didn't like that feeling. I didn't like everyone else seeing how poorly I was finishing. The competitive part of me had real difficulties in swallowing that. It makes me more and more determined to be well-trained and ready for the '11 road season. I will be racing Women's Open, a much stronger field. I want to perform well and hang. My off-season training needs to be on target for this and will be. I won't let it happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment