Saturday, November 12, 2011

Race Report: Bubba #7 at the Seminary

Today was not a stellar performance.  I got to Concordia early because I knew this was a course that would challenge me.  I did two laps before the junior races began.  There were plenty of turns and tight spots, but some straights that I knew I could use to my advantage.  It was breezy and overcast, about 60 degrees at race time, seven women in the A race.  The whistle blew and I got the hole shot.  Cat passed me in the first little downhill and Britta passed me in the next downhill around the tree.  We turned and did a short set of steps and wound our way around the barriers. Kerri, Gina and Cory got me through there.  My lines were horrible.  We headed to the wooded section of the course.  There were some tight spots, but nothing too hard.  I couldn't stay off of my brakes though.  I knew it, I said it aloud, and it didn't help.  There was a long slight downhill section where I was able to add gear and speed and make up ground.  We wound around the top of the hillside before heading into leave covered sludge.  At the hard right, I saw Gina unclipped, blocking Cory.  It gave me a chance to catch them.  Cory went around her as did I.  It went slightly up from there to a log across the course.  I dismounted, jumped it and remounted, realizing I dropped my chain.  I got off and put it back on and was quickly in last place.  I wasn't very happy heading into the most technical spots.  I worked at staying off the brakes.  I saw Gina pull off the course, it looked like she was having mechanical issues and I still could see Amy and Cory.  I bobbled my remount after the second set of stairs and wound around the off camber and trees back to the start/finish.

I told myself lap two had it be better and it was.  I calmed down, stayed off the brakes and took good lines.  In lap three I caught Cory at the barriers and passed her.  She had already done a 5K this morning and I knew she went out hard.  I was gaining ground on Amy.  On the uphill before the log, one of the B racers was on my wheel, she told me she was going to pass me on the inside.  I told her to give it her best and added gear--it was a race after all.  I heard her say "I guess I won't." We also had a little tussle before the second set of stairs, but my remount was cleaner and I was able to gap her there.
One of the few times I haven't smiled in a race.  "You will not pass me" was the thought in my mind. *photo credit: Dennis Fickinger

Ah!  That's better! *Photo credit:  Dennis Fickinger

The log where I dropped my chain in the first lap. *Photo credit:  Dennis Fickinger
I was able to catch and pass Amy after the first set of steps in lap 5.  She knows I want good standings and gave me encouragement as I rode by.  Throughout lap 4 and 5, I had a Trish (B racer) on my wheel.  I would gap her in the straights and she would catch me it got technical.  Even though I wasn't officially racing her, having her there pushed me and gave me cause to practice my sprint at the end.  I ended up in fourth, even with my Busch league first lap.  Hoping tomorrow is better.  Practicing the technical is good for me, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment