Sunday, November 20, 2011

Race Report: Bubba #9 Mount Pleasant

Today we had true cyclocross weather.  It was in the low 40s, wet and rained off and on throughout the race.  The race was at Mt. Pleasant winery in Augusta, MO.  This venue is known for the hills and toughness of the course and today was no exception.  


The hecklers were cracking me up here.

Not sure why I was laughing in this miserable weather.


We had nine women in the A race.  We got the whistle and took off.  We started on pavement and there's a sharp turn before heading out into the field.  I went down in that turn last year, so I was careful this time.  And, sure enough, the woman who got the hole shot slid out.  I was sitting in third as we hit the grass.  We were bunched pretty tight at that point.  We headed through the top part of the field and wound to the off camber section (ok, most of it was off camber) and I slid out.  I was riding my training wheels today because I'm having some difficulties with my race wheels and I think I gave them a little too much credit.  I got up and on, but had fallen into 7th.  By the end of the lap, I made up a position.  Heading out for lap two, the girl in front of me wiped out hard in the first turn again.  That lap went smoothly.  By lap three my hands were wet and cold.  I had to dismount on a climb I could ride simply because I couldn't move my hands enough to shift.  I tossed my gloves when I got up on top and immediately felt better.  We got lap cards that time through and they read four to go.  I was riding well until I got to the bottom of the big run up.  I was taking the section right before too quickly and just went down.  I've got a beautiful souvenir from where my pedal met my knee.  I hopped up and ran up the hill.  The rest of the race went well.  I was able to pass Gina at the top of the run up in the final lap for 5th place.

After my first fall, I know I backed off some.  I was a little more timid.  I still raced hard, but I wasn't as aggressive in the turns and off camber section.  That being said, my lap times, as usual, got faster and I made ground on the ladies in front of me each lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment