Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Is Social Media Killing Communication?

I’m “plugged in”. You can find me on Facebook, Twitter, Blogger, and Tumblr.  I have accounts on LinkedIn and other such places.  Much of my life is an open book.  I’m sure there are folks who believe that I put too much out there, but I am very keenly aware of what I share.

Being active on these sites has allowed me to stay in contact with friends across the globe.  It’s allowed me to make friends and acquaintances across the country.  I feel well-informed on topics that interest me.  Typically, I enjoy the time I spend networking, communicating and learning in these realms.  Lately though, I’ve begun to question the detrimental effect of social media on “real communication.”

My first red flag came in the vein of cyber bullying.  I’m almost 40 years old, and yet I’m still dealing with the mean girl syndrome.  I don’t know if boys can fully appreciate the concept of mean girls.  These are women who purposely pull down other ladies for the sake of feeling better about themselves.  It’s rampant in middle and high schools, and it’s something that many women never get away from.  Social media gives these girls an outlet to be venomous on a large scale.  No longer is it spreading rumors in the hallways and passing notes, you can now post subversive tweets and status updates for your 452 followers to read.  It’s unnerving.  Instead of talking face-to-face and resolving the concern, let’s passive-aggressively blast someone on the interwebs.

While I was still contemplating the detrimental effects of the mean girls, I started becoming more keenly aware of the concept of “online persona”. Now, don’t think I’m that dense.  I know everyone who has an online presence puts out there what they want people to know or think.  What I mean are people who have multiple online personas.  They pretend to be someone else, and not just in one place either.  Now I know for years authors have been using pseudonyms for various reasons, but how many Twitter accounts does one really need?  And how do you keep up with it all?  Do you know who the real you is?  How can you maintain the duplicity?  I barely have time for my single account.  I'd have to toss out my kids, work or training if I tried to do anymore.

I think the most concerning piece for me came this morning in the form of an email epiphany.  And I am incredibly guilty of this one--using my social media to send a communicate with someone. I don't mean posting on their wall or sending a direct message.  Instead of texting directly, emailing or calling, I write a blog, post a song, or a veiled phrase that communicates my meaning, with those “not in the know” none the wiser.  Now this began as a fun game.  It tested my quickness, my ability to discern and encrypt and I enjoy the smile that many of those messages give me. But when I had a blog sent to me this morning, I realized how skewed my reality has become.  I used to believe I was a great conversationalist and that I was easily approachable.  Has that changed?  Have I neglected it in favor of the quick and easy approach? 

Without a doubt, social media, social networking is here to stay.  I think the real test is to figure out what role it plays.  Is it your main means of communication?  Is your digital world your new reality?  How can the two be blended in a beneficial way? I can say this for me, after I hit publish on this, I’ll be picking up the phone to address the blog. And I won't be posting a link to this one on Twitter . . . it is what it is, you know?


No comments:

Post a Comment