Thursday, September 8, 2011

2011 Road Season in Review

I’m big on reflection.  I’ve seen as a classroom teacher and as a staff developer that people learn best once they have time to process and put their learning in a context.  That’s what I’m trying to do now, as a cyclist, with this past season.

I went into this season being nervous.  I upgrade to Cat 3 after Gateway Cup last year.  That meant, for most of my races, I would be competing against Cat 1/2/3 women.  I was worried about being sorely out classed.  To compound this, I had a dismissal cross season last fall and winter.  One more variable in the equation is that I was job hunting at the beginning of the season as well. 

In spite of all of that, my season started well.  I was holding my own in most races.  I won the time trial at Hermann.  While I cracked in the crit, I had been expecting that.  My Tour of St. Louis and Belleville Crit went great as well.  Then came Tour de Grove. 

Tour de Grove, Midtown Alley was not my night.  I went down hard in the sprint and tore my left side to shreds.  In spite of that, I was able to come back and podium at Dutchtown that Sunday.  I was feeling good about my racing until late July.  That’s when the bottom dropped out.

I am attributing the problem to a dietary change.  I cut out all processed refined sugar.  However I don’t know if that was the actual culprit.  All I know is that I struggled through Edwardsville, the MO State Timetrial and Crit.  I was outclassed by the competition and I was hating racing.  Fortunately I have a great coach who gave me constructive feedback and worked to keep my head in the game and my fitness where it should be.  With some adjusted nutrition, by the time I raced Sedalia and Otterville, I felt like I was back and was looking forward to GWC.

Gateway started out fine.  I planned to race all four races, with Monday being my day to shine.  Friday night I sat in for most of the race and had a decent sprint for 11th.  Saturday started out well.  I was sitting in the pack and was moving into place in the final lap when I went down.  I’m not sure how or why, I suspect someone hit me. Regardless my left side was again trashed.  I managed to race Sunday and Monday, but my performance mimicked Jeff City. 

So what have I learned from all of this:
  • I can hold with Cat 1 & 2 ladies on any given day.
  • Tough Pads work better than Tegaderm for road rash.
  • A great manicure can survive a crash at 30mph.
  • I will not screw with my nutrition mid season ever again.
  • I love my team, my teammates.
  • None of this matters if it stops being fun.

So cross begins in three days.  I don’t have a lot of high expectations for myself for cx.  I want to race.  I want to work hard.  I want to smile. I want to get muddy. I did upgrade to Cat 3, but not because I think I’m a dirty goddess.  I upgraded because I’ve raced two full seasons and I’m no longer a beginner.  I know I’ll get lapped.  I know there will be races where I’m DFL.  I know I will laugh and have good times with my friends.  And I hope that the disappointment I’m feeling now will fade and that I will have my head wrapped around the idea of racing hard, fast and aggressive when February gets here.

No comments:

Post a Comment