Sunday, September 11, 2011

Race Report: PICX #1

I definitely could tell I hadn't been on my cx bike in nine months.  It was a brutal race, but I smiled my way through it!

The course wasn't technical, but it wasn't easy. Lot of hills, a bit of tall grass, a fun, quick downhill and a nasty, steep, short uphill.

The weather was beautiful, high 70s, and we had six women in the Open Race.  I set three goals for myself today:
1.  Not fall.  My elbow didn't need the impact.
2.  Not get lapped by any girls.
3.  Not finish DFL.

I accomplished the first two.  We got the whistle from the line and I guess I forgot about how to start a cx race because I wasn't prepared for jumping so quickly.  Yep, off the back from the go.  I decided to take the nasty little hill near the end as a run up on the first lap.  I had tried to ride in during my warm up, but didn't make it up.  Second lap I moved a little faster through the course and decided to ride the little hill.  I almost made it the top, but had to put a foot down near the top.  I got lapped by the men's leader during lap three.  Two laps later, I finally made it up the hill!  The last lap I pushed myself harder, standing through all my climbs and got some great speed on the cobbles.  
It couldn't have been that bad . . . I was smiling. *Photo credit: Kelly Patty

My bike handling definitely needs some work.  I lost a lot of speed in the tight turns.  My dismounts were passable, and remounts were ok.  I'm choosing to look at it positively in that I have lots of room for
improvement!
My best side!  *Photo credit: Kelly Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment