Monday, September 12, 2011

A Life Well Lived

Every year Beloit College publishes the Mindset List.  This list reflects the world view of the freshmen entering college in the given year.  For example, this year's freshmen never lived in a time with the Berlin Wall.  For them, there's always been a FOX network.  The purpose of the list is to help faculty be mindful of the references they use in class.


Last night we celebrated my grandma's 94th birthday.  As I sat with her, I began to think about her mindset and how the world has changed in her lifetime.  Cell phones and computers are now common.  She lived through Prohibition, The Great Depression, World War II, Korean Conflict, Armstrong on the moon, Vietnam, both Bushes in the White House and 9/11.  As one of thirteen children, she's outlived all but three.  She's incredibly sharp, smart, and has a perseverance that I aspire to emulate.  She's lost the love of her life and her son.  She stayed at home and raised her kids until they were grown and then became a career woman.  She can still cook circles around anyone, and the only reason she's stopped sewing is because she's lost most of her vision.  Can you tell I want to be just like her if I ever grow up?

So besides thinking Mammaw is pretty amazing.  I loved spending time with this side of my family.  When I was a wee lass, we were always together.  The entire side of the family drove to Yellowstone, camping along the way.  My parents and aunts and uncles square danced (it was the 70s!) together every week.  Then there was drama . . . marriage drama on the part of my parents and other family tensions.  I think I was about seven.  I will say my dad and his brother stayed pretty tight, they were so much alike it's scary.  But I grew up not really knowing my cousins well.  It was until my cousin Darla put her foot down and said, "Enough!" that things got better.  I still don't spend enough time with them, but I truly treasure when I do.

So a few photos from last night, the ones that make me smile the most:
Uncle Lloyd, the oldest of the three and his momma.  She was so surprised when she walked in she started crying.

My cousin Darla and I are almost as similar as our Dads were.  We're ten years and a day apart.  She and her dad can bring tears to my eyes with a simple hug that passes so many unsaid words.

I will forever treasure this photo.  Sissy gave Mammaw the necklace that she has on the last time we visited.  She hasn't taken it off since.

Sissy is getting loving from Uncle Lloyd.  He and my dad looked so much alike that when their grandkids were little, they would get confused over who was whom.  Every time he sees Sissy he reminds me of just how rotten she would be if my dad had ever had the change to spoil her.

Just a shot with my brother.

I was trying to get Jeffrey's head down far enough so you could see his bald spot.  He started smacking me with the cake server though.  Yes, we frequently got in trouble for wrestling in the house.

Mammaw raised three children, two boys and a girl.  From those three came seven grandchildren . . . all of us there last night.  From the seven grandchildren came 11 great-grandchildren.  And if I'm right, I think there are  four great great grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment