Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Race Report: Gateway Cup

Friday--Lafayette
I got to the park and the rain started coming down in buckets. It was going to be a soggy one.  I got registered and dressed the rain dwindled.  By the time I was ready to warm up, it was drizzling at most.  I rode around the area, making sure I had good tire pressure and could corner well.  It came time to go to the line.  We were having some spurts of rain, but nothing like earlier.  17 women lined up, we got instructions and were off.  I didn't know most of the field and that always makes me a little nervous.  I knew I wanted to be upfront and out of any craziness.  We got our first prime about four laps into the race.  Right after turn 1 Tricia (Korte Hammerdown) took off.  I jumped and bridged up to her wheel.  I thought I we would be off, but right before turn three Stephanie, her teammate, led the pack back to us.  We turned the corner and Aimee (Michelob Ultra Big Shark) took off.  I wasn't anticipating her jump, so there was no way for me to grab her wheel without bringing the pack.  I sat up and let the other girls work.  She had a nice gap on the field, won the prime and kept going.  It didn't seem like anyone was working hard to bring her back.  For the next three laps or so, her lead was under 15 seconds.  I stayed second wheel to whomever was leading the chase, but refused to pull through.  I felt like I had it to bridge, but didn't want to bring the group.  Her lead then began to steadily grown.  About 25 minutes in we got a field prime.  I stayed in position until we rounded turn four and then got out of the saddle.  It was mine.  For the rest of the race I stayed second or third wheel and chased down anyone who decided to jump.  I knew Aimee's gap was good, but I didn't want anyone to get away.  We came down to the last lap.  I knew where the optimal sprint was and jumped when it was time.  I hit the line for a third place finish.
Sitting in and not letting anyone chase Aimee.  *Photo credit: Mike Dawson

Saturday--Francis Park
It was nasty humid again on Saturday.  The rain poured down as soon as I finished registering.  I sat in the car until it let up and then put the bike together and headed to the trainer tent.  I hate warming up on trainers because I don't ever feel ready to race.  Today was no exception.  I was also timid to start because I crashed on this course last year.  We had about the same number of ladies racing, a few sets of fresh legs though.  We got instructions and were off.  It rained on us mid race for about four laps.  There were lots of attacks coming from the usual suspects, but no one was letting the break go like the night before.  I never could get lined up for the primes in this race.  My positioning before turn four was okay, but not where I like.  I made sure I was close to the front, but didn't nab any.  The race once again came down to a field sprint.  My legs had ached most of the race and just didn't have it to be up front.  It was a sixth place finish on the day, leaving me in fifth place for the omnium.  Aimee lost the jersey to Tricia.
Wet once again!  *Photo credit: Don McKinney

Sunday--Giro
Once again overcast and muggy.  We got a few spurts of rain during warm up, but the race itself was sunny, hot and humid.  The kids had come with us to the race, so I knew I'd have a great day out there.

Did someone say prime??? *photo credit: Mike Dawson
We got instructions and took off.  I was feeling really good and was ready to make some noise during this race.  A few laps in we got a prime bell.  I know for this course you have to be in place before turn three or your chances are slim to none.  The HED girl jumped early on the backside and took off.  I was ready to chase her down.  We were both off the pack, with her having a slight gap on me.  I took turn four poorly and had to brake to avoid the curb.  I never was able to make up ground on her.  She was tired off her jump and I caught her just after the line, and the pack got us after turn one.  A few laps later the bell went again.  I wanted this one bad.  I was sitting up front and ready for any move.  No one went.  We made turn four and I sat on Aimee's wheel and let her take me to the fencing.  I was up and going.  I crossed the line and claimed it without issue.  On the back side Kelly (KC) jumped.  I didn't know if I could react and let the field chase her down.  I had to work the rest of that lap to get back on the pack.  Three laps later another prime.  Again Aimee tried to lead me out but the HED girl was a bit smarter this time.  We went to the line and she got me by a wheel.  Again the race was coming down to a field sprint.  I was sitting in a great position on Aimee's wheel coming down the hill to the finish when Amy McClintock (Team Rev) came on my inside in the gutter.  I went wide and lost my lead out.  I sprinted hard and went to the line against Aimee.  I was scored fourth, but the photos I've seen look like I edged her for third. Regardless, she (and Big Shark) had the leader jersey back.  I got a talking to from the official about not holding my line on the sprint.  I held my tongue and didn't give her excuses as to why.

Monday--Benton
Overcast and cloudy but no rain on Monday.  I got a great warm up in the neighborhood and was ready. I didn't get a front row position on the start, but was ready when the whistle came.  I knew for this race it could be easy for a break to make it so I wanted to be up front and ready.  The ladies had lots of problems with corners and lines in this one.  I'm really surprised no one went down.

Three laps in our first prime came.  I wasn't necessarily interested in it because I wanted to save my legs for the final sprint.  We made our final corner and one of the out of town girls jumped early.  No one went after her.  Well, if no one else is doing anything I might as well see what my legs had.  I'm assuming she thought it was hers because I took off and caught her without problem.  It wasn't even close at the line.  We started our way around again and crossed over by the brewery.  I heard "Go Mommy!"  My smalls were there.  I yelled "yes" and had a new sense of energy to race.
*photo credit: Mike Dawson
Two laps later the next bell went.  I had no intention of going for it, but again wanted to stay close.  I crossed the line third.  Another prime two laps later with similar results.  With two to go Tara (Michelob Ultra Big Shark) was ramping up the pace.  We were ready to hit turn six and there was a truck in the middle of the course.  I know I yelled "oh shit" and we somehow maneuvered around it.  Final lap--I was where I wanted to be through six.  The back of the pack swarmed and as we made the final turn I found myself blocked in.  I started my sprint early to make up the ground I had lost and gained several places.  I found myself going against Aimee at the line again.  She took sixth and I got seventh.  It was enough for her to win the omnium, but knocked me off the podium for the weekend.

Overall I was pretty happy for the weekend.  My legs felt great and I was able to mentally talk myself through races where I was uneasy.  My bike handling was what it should be and I felt like I had my sprint back.  I reinforced to myself that I'm better off warming up on the road versus the trainer.  If I could change anything I would've jumped sooner on some of the finishing sprints.  I think I probably had more in my legs than I gave myself credit for.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, thanks for the nice comment! :) I had a blast Sunday, and I'm really enjoying cx...probably more so if I did much consistent training, but still loving it from where I am. And I'm constantly inspired by the amazing women out there ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete