Monday, May 28, 2012

Race Report: University City 10K

How do I get myself talked into these things?  This one went something like this . . . I was having lunch with my friend Katie who said "Marcy and I are going to run the UCity 10K, why don't you do it too?"  Sure, why not!  And then Katie bails--with good reason--but I'm already registered and committed.  Commitable may actually be the more appropriate phrase.

The day was hot and the course was hilly.  I did a mile warm up before the race down Delmar to the shop and back.  I also made sure I was at the front of the field.  This is a new habit for me since I never have considered myself much of a runner and didn't really think I belonged up there.  I also was able to find Marcy.

The course started on a slight uphill that was about 1/4 long.  My original plan was to stay with Marcy for the race and let her pace me through.  We got the start and were off.  I stayed on Marcy's shoulder and followed her as we weaved through the field.  (There was a 5km that started on the same course).  We were almost to the top of the hill and my legs were itching to open up so I went around Marcy and started stretching out my stride.  I prayed I didn't pay for it later.  I had some watch malfunction (i.e. operator error) between mile one and three but I think my first two splits were around 7:34.  The first two miles of the race were all on Delmar, which was mentally draining to me.  I was ready to turn and see something else.  I grabbed a cup of water just before mile two and kept going.  The course was rolling hills throughout and mostly shaded for the first four miles.

At mile three I realized my pace had slowed (8:01) but I felt comfortable with what I was doing and knew it was something I could sustain for the rest of the race.  Between mile four and five I was passed by a handful of girls.  Two of them passed me, but not at a pace that I couldn't sustain so I sped up a bit and got in behind one of them.  I stayed just off her left shoulder and worked to stay with her.  A few times I felt like I could push harder, but held back a bit.  One of the two girls pulled away and a little after mile five, I pushed passed the girl I was following.  I turned the final corner and saw the finishing arch and the mile six mark.  I worked on speeding up a little and finishing strong.  I was hot and tired at the end, but not dead.  In my mind I had wanted to run it in 45, but knew that was a big stretch.  My time was 48:39.  I was 78th overall in the race.  19th out of 240 women and 6th in my age group.

Here's a little video of my finish.

Crossing the line, happy to be finished.  *photo credit: John Musselman

No comments:

Post a Comment