Sunday, May 27, 2012

Race Report: Big Bottom Time Trial

My first bike race ever was a time trial.  It's still my second favorite discipline in the sport.  And I love the Columbia Bottom tt course.  That all being said, I just wasn't that excited to race this one.  It was an okay race for me, but not the race I was wanting.

It was warm and breezy, but not terribly windy.  We got there and I did my warm up.  I rode on the roads outside the park because I didn't want to interfere with anyone's race.  I went to the start about five minutes before my time and they were no where near on time.  I turned around and kept spinning for another 15 minutes or so.  I went back to the start area and there were still about 12-15 people who needed to start.  I should have turned and ridden some more, but I was also nervous about missing my start.  I had talked to Eddie and he gave me the insight on the wind (and let me borrow a tt helmet since I forgot mine) since I didn't preview the course.

My start was a little slower than I like.  I've felt that way on every tt this year, so it's something I need to focus on more.  I got my cadence up and was able to add two gears pretty quickly.  I was feeling good through the first three miles until the bend where the wind hit.  (Eddie was right on with what he told me).  I took a gear off until I got back into the cove where I was able to add it again.  I could see back there that the woman who started in front of me had added time between us.  I made the turn and saw the girl behind me had made about 10 seconds on me as well.  I put my head down and pushed.  Once I got past the bend, the wind was almost a direct tail.  I was able to add two gears and speed.  The toughest part of the course was last mile.  There it was a direct headwind.  I took off gear to maintain a decent cadence.  I finished in about 21:06 for 8.4 miles.  Slower than I would have liked.  I finished first in Cat 3, but fifth overall.  Not a stellar result for me. In hindsight I would say I could have suffered more, especially on the way out.  I didn't push as hard as I should have.  I also felt like I lost some benefit of my warm up by sitting for as long as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment